If life were stable, I'd never need God's help. Since it's not, I reach out for him regularly. I am thankful for the unknowns and that I don't have control, because it makes me run to God. - Francis Chan, Crazy Love

Sabbath  

Posted by Mio nome รจ Stephanie in

Recently I was talking to one of my friends about how he seems so centered and focused on the moments he is living. He is a very joyful and peaceful person to be around and I kept telling him... "I want that. I want to know why you are this way and how I can get it to." After all, I am a Christian already, and he is as well. So, as I thought, it can't be just Jesus that I want... or is it?

In the Old Testament, throughout the book of Exodus, the scriptures tell the people of Israel to remember the day of rest. It's also one of the ten commandments. In regards to the New Testament, Jesus is asked about the Sabbath day after he does 'work' on the day of rest. He responds with "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)

So, if this special time was MADE for me, what is the significance? After all, it is also a command.

Sabbath literally is taking a day to rest. Yes, a full 24 hours of REST!! God took one, we are commanded repeatedly in scripture both directly and indirectly..

If Sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest, I'm not sure how to do this well. I'm distracted with everything!! This world is not condusive to rest and taking time out to reflect on the goodness of God. If I'm not distracted by other people, I'm distracted by media. If I'm not distracted by my cell phone, I'm distracted by my computer. If I'm not distracted by the dirtiness of the kitchen then I'm distracted by the pile of laundry that is growing. There are non-stop distractions in this world that we live in.  I go to spend time with God and all I can think about is the dirt on the floor when I'm kneeling to pray. I go to write in my journal and notice the lack of pens!! I can never win.

Most people are overwhelmed, stressed, busy, unpeaceful and just generally unhappy. So, how is this connected to Sabbath?

I think the answer to our worn-out/unhappy world is taking an honest Sabbath. 24 hours of time to take it easy, reflect on what you've been doing and what you are planning to do and most importantly to spend a significant time reflecting on the goodness of God and asking him to really show you his grace.

How do we do this? How do we Sabbath well in spite of  the distractions?

Great Question. Still trying to figure this out. But my first step is praying about it. Here is my prayer...

God, Thank you for being patient with me. Thank you for giving me the desire to seek you and know you more. I ask that you would help me to know what it means to Sabbath well. Show me more people like my friend who does Sabbath well so I can see a vivid example of what this means. I long to meet with you and take time out of my busyness, show me opportunities to make time. Thank you. I love you, help me to have a heart for your people.

If you want to check out an awesome sermon by Pastor @JonMcIntosh about Sabbath, click on the link and it will take you directly to the Audio.

Jon McIntosh Sermon on Sabbath

This entry was posted on January 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment